7 Reasons why we should follow God's food laws
Robert Bowes posted this short but insightful post about God's dietary instructions, which covers some very important info - He graciously allowed us to post it here - thanks Robert. 7 Reasons why we should follow God's food laws found in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14
1. Obedience. As believers, we display our salvation through our works and obedience. We are saved by grace and not of works, but faith without works is dead.
2. Love. We're to love God with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength. Jesus said if we love Him, to keep His commandments. Jesus didn't bring His own doctrine, but His Father's. Therefore, we show our love for God through our obedience.
3. Trust. We show God that we trust Him to provide for us through His food laws. We trust that He knows what is best for us.
4. Design. We acknowledge that God is creator and that he designed all of the animals with a purpose. He designed some animals to be edible and beneficial and he designed other animals to help clean up the earth by absorbing toxins and detritus around them.
5. Holy. We are to be holy as God is holy. This is the reason stated in Leviticus 11. Peter restates this in his letter. (1 Peter 1:16) As we have been grafted into Israel through the blood of Christ, we know that we are still supposed to be holy just like Israel was to be holy in Leviticus. The synonym most commonly used for holy is "set apart." We are to be set apart in part through what we eat.
6. Blessings and curses. One of the stated reasons for following God's commandments is because they bring blessings when we obey and curses when we disobey. The example I've heard is someone running a stop sign. If you obey the stop sign, you're safe. If you run the stop sign, you may be hurt. It's not the punishment for running the stop sign, it's the potential consequence. Just like running the stop sign, eating animals that God created unclean can lead to assorted illnesses or complications.
7. Health. This ties in with trust and blessings. We know that God wants us to be healthy. He designed our bodies to work best on a mostly plant based diet, but He gave us the ability to live as omnivores as well. Our bodies are also designed to thrive on a mostly alkaline diet. The acidity of meat is much higher than most plant foods. The acidity of unclean animals is much, much higher than meats that God created for us to eat.
Of all the reasons why we should follow God's food laws, I can't think of one that doesn't still apply today.
As we strive to be holy in our eating, people around us notice. It's a great way to tell people about our holy God and His love for us. God is love and He is also holy. God wants to bless us. He wants us to trust Him in all that we do.
Be holy as God is holy.
By Robert Bowes